This teaching was given by pastor Barry Forder on 28th February 2021.
Building on our study last week, we now begin to see Jude list 30 characteristic of apostates.
Not only is this a good expose of these people, it serves as a checklist of what we should not be!
1) Filthy dreamers
2) Defile the flesh
3) Despise dominion
4) Speak evil of dignities
5) Speak evil of what they don’t know
6) They act on carnal instincts
7) Gone in the way of Cain
8) Ran greedily after the error of Balaam
9) Destroyed themselves in the gainsaying of Korah
10) Spots (hidden rocks) in your love feasts
11) Feed themselves without fear
12) The are as clouds without water
13) Carried about of winds
14) Trees whose fruit withers
15) Without fruit
16) Twice dead
17) Plucked up by the roots
18) Raging waves of the sea
19) Foaming out shame
20) Wandering stars
23) Walking after their own lusts
24) Their mouth speaks great swelling words
25) Having men’s persons in admiration because of advantage
27) Walking after ungodly lusts
28) Separate themselves
30) Without the Spirit
In this study we look at the first 7 of these in more detail, focusing on the 7th – The Way of Cain.
- Cain did not deny the existence of God
- He did not refuse to worship God
- He simply failed to come to God on the basis of the atoning sacrificial shed blood of a lamb.
- He wanted to come to God on his terms
- He wanted to set the conditions for approaching God
- Ultimately, he rejected God’s Word
- All apostacy begins here
May you be encouraged and challenged by this study.